Thursday, June 26, 2008

Priorities

I was taking these notes elsewhere, but then I thought, why not lay it all on the table?

So I was showing Matt these cool fairings I’ve been considering for the project. I know that it makes the end result more “SS” and less “Café” but I dig that 1970’s SS look and if I’m going to "do the ton" on a 350cc bike any aerodynamic advantage that can be had is worthwhile, right? Of course adding $250+ to the budget isn’t going to get this bike on the road sooner so I see this as “phase 2” of the project, but that got me thinking about what exactly are the phases of this project?

Phase 1:
A running, rideable bike that has a chance of making it to, riding in, and making it home from, the fall Slimey Crud Motorcycle Gang Café Racer Run.

Phase 2:
Making the bike capable of 100MPH, addressing aesthetics, tuning and overall reliability.

Phase 3:
More power, better handling

So for the moment we’ll focus on Phase 1 and relegate Phase 2 as daydream fodder for all the time we can’t be making progress on Phase 1.

To get ready for the day of work we’re lining up I started thinking about what we’d like to do first, and what parts/tools/etc. we’ll need to get around so we don’t have any (easily avoided) hang-ups on that day. Here’s my current task list, in approximate order of priority:


  1. Remove the airbox, replace with K&N pod filters (I’m giving up on velocity stacks for the moment)
  2. Get the carbs put back together (done)
  3. Install the carbs
  4. Install the modified “exhaust”
  5. Actually clean the oil filter (not just replace the engine oil)


…This should be enough to see if we can get the engine to start. Once that happens…


  1. Kreem & re-install the fuel tank (I'm re-considering this)
  2. Adjust carb jetting (we’ve made some major changes to the intake/exhaust)
  3. Tune-up the ignition (gap the “new” plugs, clean/replace the points, maybe new condenser/coils/plug wires)
  4. Check/adjust the timing
  5. Check/adjust the valves


…And then a few aesthetic adjustments


  1. Swap the stock bars for clubmans
  2. Fix/patch the seat
  3. Clean everything


That should be it for phase 1, and depending on how many snags we run into I dont' think there is any reason we can't get through it by this fall's run...

No comments: